Recipe of Borsch
"soup of beetroot with tomatoes"
- 1 beetroot (grated)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 onion (grated)
- 3 medium potatoes in cubes
- 2 full hands of cabbage (grated slim)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper (in cubes)
- cooked white beans (1 can or 1 and 1/2 full hands)
- 500g chopped meat (ox, poultry, or pork) for the broth
- 1 Tbsp of vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 litre of tomato juice
- spices (salt, freshly ground black pepper, laurel leaves, oregano, garlic, parsley, dill)
In a big casserole, put the meat + water and bring to boil.
Remove the impurities that float on the water surface when it begins to boil.
Add all spices (except vinegar, parsley and dill). Boil 20 min.
Put the potatoes + cabbage + bell pepper + white beans and continue cooking until they get soft.
Meanwhile, in a deep skillet: Golden the onion + garlic.
Add the carrot and mix until it gets lighter in color.
Add the beetroot + sugar + vinegar and mix.
Cover with water and cook under low heat, partly covered with a lid, until it gets soft. (don't overcook).
Put the contents of the skillet into the casserole + tomato juice.
Mix well and let it boil.
Turn off the heat and add chopped parsley + chopped dill and extra chopped garlic.
Let it sit for 30 min to enhance the flavor.
Heat again before serving.
Serve with a spoon of sour cream.
(PS: it is a soup, not stewed, so, don't let it overloaded with components, neither let it be only broth).